Taipei, Sept. 28 (CNA) Mos Burger, a fast food restaurant chain originating in Japan, on Saturday stopped selling deep-fried potato chunks, which are called "golden potatoes," after a consumer complained about falling sick after eating the food. In a statement, Mos announced the decision and said the product won't be offered again until a laboratory examination produces results. The announcement came after media reports exposed that a consumer from Taichung in central Taiwan recently complained to Mos that he felt nauseated and that his tongue went numb after he had a bite of a golden potato chunk. After closely checking the food, the consumer was quoted as saying that he found the color of the skin-attached potato to be green. He suspected that its was solanine, a toxin that forms in the sprouts and green parts of potatoes, the reports said.
Mos has promised to cover the man's medical bills and has asked him to return the problematic product to the company for laboratory testing, according to the reports. The company also extended an apology for causing worries among consumers while pledging to make efforts to reinforce quality management, according to the statement. (By Lin Shen-hsu and Elizabeth Hsu)