Taiwanese-Brazilian boy not interested in living in Taiwan
Central News Agency
2014-01-05 09:07 PM
Taipei, Jan. 5 (CNA) A Taiwanese-Brazilian teenager who is back for a visit after being caught up in a high-profile custody battle in Taiwan a decade ago said Sunday that he has no intention of living in Taiwan despite the happiness he has felt during his current trip. Iruan Ergui Wu, also known by his Chinese name Wu Yi-hua, said through a translator that he had always wanted to return to his father's hometown, Jiading District in the Kaohsiung metropolitan area. Wu, who arrived in Taiwan on Jan. 3 for a two-week visit, has found joy and comfort in seeing his Taiwanese relatives in Jiading, but he said at a public welfare activity in Taichung that he has no plans to stay in the country. Wu added that he has received a lot of help from other people and will do his best to help others in the future. Austin Ou, executive director of the Taiwan Catholic Mission Foundation that invited Wu and his adoptive family to Taiwan, said Wu will begin participating in many local public welfare events during his stay to give him a clear picture of social care services. The Catholic Church has done excellent work in Taiwan because of the country's relatively rich resources, said Ou, who hoped Wu could learn about Taiwan's social care services and devote himself to helping disadvantaged children. The 18-year-old Wu is in Taiwan for the first time since his maternal grandmother in Brazil was given custody of the boy by a Taiwan court in 2004 following the deaths of his Brazilian mother and Taiwanese father. Wu Yi-hua's father, Jiading native and fisherman Wu Teng-shu, conceived his son with a Brazilian woman during a layover in Brazil in the mid-1990s. He also spent some time there when his son was born in May 1995. The child's grandmother, Rosa Leocadia DaSilva Ergui, was awarded custody of the boy three years later when his mother died of cancer. In 2001, Wu Yi-hua's father brought the young boy to Taiwan to visit his family here, but when the father died two weeks later of a heart attack, his brother, Wu Huo-yen, decided to keep the boy in Kaohsiung. DaSilva Ergui later came to Taiwan to bring the boy back to Brazil, setting off lengthy court proceedings that saw the boy caught in a two-year tug of war before the Taiwan High Court ruled in her favor. (By Hau Hsueh-chin and Jeffrey Wu)
Advertisement »
HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  Society |  OPINION |  E-Paper
  • Taiwan News  ©  2016 All Rights Reserved.