Taiwanese-Brazilian teenager wraps up visit to Taiwan
Central News Agency
2014-01-18 09:49 PM
Taipei, Jan. 18 (CNA) Iruan Ergui Wu, a Taiwanese-Brazilian teenager who returned to Taiwan this month for the first time since a bitter custody battle a decade ago, concluded his 17-day visit Saturday and said he is likely to come back again. At a press conference organized by the Taiwan Catholic Mission Foundation that sponsored Wu's visit, he said he thinks he will return when he is more mature and has advanced further in school. Chairman of the foundation and president of Shih Chien University Michael Chen offered Wu, 18, a scholarship to attend college in Taiwan but it is not known whether the teenager will take up the offer. Wu, who is also known by his Chinese name Wu Yi-hua, will depart Sunday for Brazil with his adoptive mother, Etna Borkert. She and an adoptive brother accompanied him on his visit to Taiwan, which began January 3. On his return to Brazil, Wu will take back some special souvenirs that his uncle Wu Huo-yen, from Jiading District, Kaohsiung City, has packed for him. They are some clothing that the teenager had worn as a small child and some things belonging to his father Wu Teng-shu, who died of a heart attack in March 2001. In Taiwan, Wu participated in church-sponsored activities and visited relatives in his father's hometown in Jiading. He was warmly received wherever he went. He said last week that this time, he will leave Taiwan with a happy heart. The death of Wu Yi-hua's father triggered the custody war, which resulted in the 8-year-old being sent to Brazil in February 2004 to be looked after by his maternal grandmother Rosa Leocadia DaSilva Ergui. She died last year but, by then, Wu had been with the Borkert family for four years. Wu's mother Marisa Tavares Ergui died of leukemia in 1998 when he was just three years old, leaving the boy in the custody of her mother. He had been in Taiwan for only two weeks when his father also died in 2001. The elder Wu was a fisherman and had met Marisa on a visit to Brazil. He took the boy to Jiading for a visit and after his death, his brother and other members of the family tried to keep the boy in Taiwan. A cross-Pacific legal battle led to the boy's return to Brazil after he had spent three years in Taiwan. The developments of the lengthy court battle, the police-enforced execution of the court order, especially the frightened-looking boy's departure from the airport, were widely covered by Taiwanese media. (By Claudia Liu and Jay Chen)
Advertisement »
HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  Society |  OPINION |  E-Paper
  • Taiwan News  ©  2016 All Rights Reserved.