Surf Taiwan News, Browse the World »
Guinea's new cabinet excludes opposition
Guinea president announces new cabinet, leaving out opposition
Associated Press
2014-01-21 11:01 PM

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) -- Guinea President Alpha Conde has formed a new government that includes no members of the opposition after his ruling party won legislative elections last year.

Conde's office announced his new team in a statement late Monday, less than a week after the government of Prime Minister Mohamed Said Fofana resigned following the seating of a new parliament for the first time since 2008.

Conde announced on Saturday, however, that he was retaining Fofana, and the Cabinet announced Monday includes 19 of his old ministers.

Political analyst Thierno Alpha Ibrahima Balde said the composition of the Cabinet showed that Conde's government was "not a government of national reconciliation."

Members of the opposition were not immediately available for comment Tuesday.

Guinea will hold a new presidential vote next year.

HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  Lifestyle |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  SUPPLEMENT |  Society |  OPINION
  • Taiwan News  ©  2014 All Rights Reserved.