Surf Taiwan News, Browse the World »
Taiwan rejects Vietnam tourism authority's apology
Central News Agency
2014-05-15 11:33 PM
Taipei, May 15 (CNA) Taiwan's Tourism Bureau on Thursday rejected a letter sent by Vietnam's tourism authority apologizing for anti-Chinese riots raging in the country and asking Taiwanese businesses and tourists to continue to going to Vietnam.

Chang Hsi-tsung, deputy head of Taiwan's Tourism Bureau, said his bureau cannot agree with the contents of the letter because safety is a basic concern for tourists, saying that Taiwanese tourists will not visit Vietnam without assurances of their safety. Chang suggested that tourists postpone their travels to Vietnam or change their destination. In the letter dated May 14, Vietnam National Administration of Tourism Chairman Nguyen Van Tuan asked Tourism Bureau Director-General David Hsieh to inform Taiwanese businesses and tourists to "be assured" and to continue organizing tours to Vietnam. Nguyen called it unfortunate that protesters in Binh Duong Province have used violence against Chinese and Taiwanese businesses, adding that the Vietnamese government has been seeking a solution. "We are very sorry about this incident," he said. Taiwan issued a yellow travel alert the previous day for Ho Chi Minh City and an orange alert for two provinces bordering Vietnam's largest city. There are currently 854 Taiwanese tourists in Vietnam, but they are all in the northern part of the country and are all safe, according to the Tourism Bureau. So far 405 Taiwanese tourists have canceled their trips to Vietnam, the bureau said. (By Wang Shu-fen and Christie Chen)

HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  Lifestyle |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  SUPPLEMENT |  Society |  OPINION
  • Taiwan News  ©  2014 All Rights Reserved.