A moment of silence observed to mark the 7th day of MRT tragedy
Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2014-05-27 06:19 PM
Tuesday was the seventh day after the May 21 random knife attack on a Taipei metro train left 4 dead. Taipei Rapid Transit Corp. (TRTC) said, to remember lives taken away from last week’s violent stabbing incident on the MRT, the company broadcasted audioless black and white image with lines saying that “21 May, 2014, was the saddest day in our Metro’s history. Let us mourn the loss of lives, pray for those who were injured, and strive for a peaceful society. May the heavens bless Taiwan.” A moment of silence was observed at 16:26 Tuesday for five minutes, at the same time the tragedy took place seven days ago.

Outside MRT Jiangzicui Station, piles of flowers and hundreds of hand-written cards were placed by civilians over the past seven days to express compassion to the victims. A memorial ceremony was held Tuesday afternoon along with several soothing music concerts and opened to the public to light prayer candles.

In addition, the family of the 47-year-old Pan Pi-chu also posted a written announcement outside the MRT Jiangzicui Station, expressing hope that everyone can have a moment of silence together on this day as a symbolic act to put an end to this MRT tragedy, let go of the hatred, regain trust in each other, and move forward.

Regarding the victims of the violent incident, the Taipei City Government said the TRTC will assist with insurance claim processing. The Department of Health and Taipei City Hospital will provide all medical support. The City will also discuss plans on tightening up security on the MRT network with the New Taipei City Government to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

Cheng Chieh’s parents show up at the scene

Wearing masks and hats, the killer’s parents, who reportedly live close to the Jiangzicui Station, crime scene, showed up at 4 o’clock in the afternoon for the first time in public after remaining out of contact for seven days to express remorse. Escorted by police, Cheng Chieh’s father kneeled down in front of the crowd and said out loud that he felt deeply sorry for the families of victims. He begged for forgiveness for being not able to pay visit to each victim killed by his son at their mourning halls.

Cheng’s father said they didn’t know how to react to this tremendous damage left by their son. He felt pained for the lives taken away by his son and then felt grief for his son himself. With the knowledge that Cheng will likely be given a death penalty, he expressed hope that the judge will close the case at the earliest possible time to appease the families of the injured and the dead.

Advertisement »
HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  Society |  OPINION |  E-Paper
  • Taiwan News  ©  2016 All Rights Reserved.