Surf Taiwan News, Browse the World »
FIFA prosecutor: Probe already had Qatar evidence
FIFA prosecutor Garcia says he already had access to evidence in Sunday Times Qatar claims
Associated Press
2014-06-12 03:01 AM

SAO PAULO (AP) -- FIFA prosecutor Michael Garcia says he had already seen most of the evidence published by a British newspapers alleging that Mohamed bin Hammam corruptly bought influence for Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid.

Garcia told FIFA's congress on Wednesday "the vast majority of that material has been available to us for some time."

The Sunday Times' recent reports revived calls to redo the December 2010 vote by FIFA's executive committee.

On Monday, Garcia wrapped his lengthy probe of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting contests.

Garcia is due to deliver his report next month to FIFA ethics judge Joachim Eckert, who can recommend sanctions.

Allegations implicating FIFA board members in bribery, voting pacts and favor-seeking circled even before the vote.

Qatar beat the United States 14-8 in a final round of voting.

HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  Lifestyle |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  SUPPLEMENT |  Society |  OPINION
  • Taiwan News  ©  2014 All Rights Reserved.