Premier Jiang appears in court
Jiang and 3 top police officers face charges of attempted murder
Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2014-07-30 02:43 PM
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Premier Jiang Yi-huah and three senior police officers appeared in court Wednesday to testify in a case of attempted murder brought by students expelled from the Executive Yuan last March 24.

During the occupation of the Legislative Yuan by students protesting against the trade-in-services pact with China, a small group entered the Executive Yuan compound late on March 23. Police used baton charges and water cannons to expel the protesters the next morning.

Jiang has not been charged, but the Taipei District Court summoned him, National Police Agency chief Wang Cho-chiun, Taipei City police chief Huang Sheng-yung and Zhongzheng First Precinct chief Fang Yang-ning to appear at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Since supporters of the students called for new protests, a police force numbering an estimated 300 gathered around the court around noon equipped with shields and batons. Fang arrived early to direct the operations, reports said.

More than 100 protesters showed up outside, including prominent student leader Chen Wei-ting and Academia Sinica scholar Huang Kuo-chang. They demanded the premier face both his legal and political responsibility. One row of protesters held up pictures of Jiang wielding a sword dripping with blood and the English term “State Violence.”

The premier arrived without speaking to the media. He was expected to explain the decision-making process which led to the police intervention against the Executive Yuan occupiers. He left after about two hours inside, but the three police officers were still being questioned separately, reports said. The court session was closed to the media and the public.

Since Jiang was the only premier in the world to be sued for attempted murder, he should resign, said the Democratic Progressive Party. He had ordered the violent dispersal of peaceful, unarmed protesters on what was a dark day for Taiwan’s democracy, the opposition party said.

Jiang should bear political responsibility for the violence, apologize to the students and to the nation, and tender his resignation, according to the DPP.

Police officers had used batons to beat the heads of students, teachers and doctors, which amounted to attempted murder even though nobody died, a DPP spokesman said. The people who gave the orders for the expulsion of the protesters bear the administrative responsibility for the injuries, he said.

The Sunflower Movement, as the student protest was dubbed, occupied the Legislative Yuan from March 18 until April 10 to protest President Ma Ying-jeou’s determination to push through the trade pact with China. The occupation was followed by equally massive protests against the fourth nuclear plant.

Advertisement »
HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  Society |  OPINION |  E-Paper
  • Taiwan News  ©  2016 All Rights Reserved.