Surf Taiwan News, Browse the World »
MAC deputy being investigated after resignation announcement
Central News Agency
2014-08-18 08:57 AM
Taipei, Aug. 18 (CNA) Chang Hsien-yao, the principal deputy minister of the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), "had to be removed and subjected to an investigation," MAC has announced. There was "some suspicion related to his work that needs to be clarified," the Cabinet-level agency responsible for Taiwan's policies on China said late Sunday. The statement came after a text message sent to reporters Sunday from Chang, 49, who said that he had been "told to resign" on Aug. 14, two days before the Executive Yuan said Chang had offered to resign for family reasons. The message was the first comment from Chang, who had remained silent following the Executive Yuan statement, which listed several changes at the deputy ministerial level. While saying he "gladly accepts it when my superiors don't need me any longer," Chang's message drew almost immediate response from the MAC, which could set off speculations over the exact reasons behind Chang's removal. Chang was appointed the MAC's second highest ranking official in Sept. 2013 and in Feb. 2014, he assumed the posts of vice chairman and secretary-general of the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF), the organization responsible for the conduct of relations with China in the absence of official ties. (By Yin Chun-chieh and Jay Chen)
HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  Lifestyle |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  SUPPLEMENT |  Society |  OPINION
  • Taiwan News  ©  2014 All Rights Reserved.