Surf Taiwan News, Browse the World »
 
Former MAC deputy chief free after questioning
Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2014-09-05 07:22 PM
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Former Mainland Affairs Council Vice Minister Chang Hsien-yao walked out a free man Friday after a full day of questioning by prosecutors, who said they did not rule out talking to Minister Wang Yu-chi about the alleged leaking of confidential information to China.

Chang, a former People First Party lawmaker, is a defendant in the case of alleged transfer of sensitive documents from Taiwan to China through a third party. He was removed from his MAC position last month but initially offered a new post at a state-owned enterprise.

He spent almost nine hours at the Taipei Prosecutors Office for questioning Friday, but was allowed to leave in the early evening without any new charges or demands for his detention being issued, reports said.

Chang had come to the third round of questioning about the case equipped with documents, reports said without elaborating. Leaving the building, he told waiting journalists that he had offered clarifications and that he had already told the investigators everything he knew.

Prosecutors reportedly commented they might question Wang as a witness if the need arose.

The minister as well as Premier Jiang Yi-huah said earlier they would be prepared to fully explain the controversy during questioning by lawmakers once the Legislative Yuan returns from its summer recess.

After Chang’s first interrogation by prosecutors on August 25, for which he volunteered, he was listed as a defendant and was barred from moving house. As he was questioned on August 28, investigators raided seven locations including his home in the Taipei neighborhood of Dazhi. Three of his aides were also called in as witnesses and later allowed to go home.

HOME |  WORLD |  Politics |  Business |  Sports |  Lifestyle |  TAIWAN |  Technology |  Health |  SUPPLEMENT |  Society |  OPINION
  • Taiwan News  ©  2014 All Rights Reserved.